The Mapungubwe Institute for Strategic Reflection (MISTRA), together with the Friedrich Ebert Stiftung (FES), is undertaking new initiatives to take forward the outcomes of its research project on the Green Economy - Earth, Wind and Fire: unpacking the political, economic and security implications of discourse on the Green Economy. The goal of the project was to identify a range of policy instruments that can drive environmental innovation on both the supply and demand side. In this instance, we will be focusing on drafting variables, towards writing scenarios for the Transition to a Low Carbon Economy in South Africa. The initiative includes creating a framework for:
• imagining different economic futures (scenarios) for the South African economy and society
• drawing on research related socio-economic indicators (e.g. jobs) and considering how these would change under different economic futures.
As part of this scenarios process, we interviewed a number of stakeholders to get a deep sense of their views and expectations. From the interviews, the first set of variables will be drafted and presented at a workshop with the following objectives:
• Agreement on what the big questions we would like answered are
• Identify whether there are any other variables which need to be considered
• Discuss whether these variables have been described well
We would, therefore, like to kindly request that you attend and participate in this workshop on the 25th of July 2017.
For more information please contact Dzunisani